Bixal is a fast-growing digital communications, design and technology firm based in Fairfax, VA. We are looking for a visionary and passionate Data Architect to join our dynamic team of change makers that are working tirelessly to driving real change and improve people’s lives through the work we do for our clients. In this role, you will be a subject matter expert and thought leader for a data warehousing project for the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The HHS project includes the expansion and management of the enterprise data warehouse (EDW), a system used for reporting and data analysis that is the foundation of business intelligence of HHS’ Digital Communication Office (DCD). The system serves as the central repository of integrated data from 13 disparate sources.
What will you do?
We are looking for a Data Architect to build, optimize and maintain conceptual and logical database models. For this role, you should know how to analyze system requirements and implement migration methods for existing data. Hands-on experience with cloud computing platforms, including Amazon Web Services (AWS) products and services, is also required. Ideally, you are familiar with business intelligence and data visualization techniques using relevant tools (e.g., Tableau, R). Ultimately, you will develop database solutions to ensure client information is integrated, centralized and stored effectively and securely.
You are an ideal fit if you can:
- Support Extract, Load, Transform (ETL) processes
- Develop database solutions to store and retrieve client information
- Install and configure information systems
- Analyze structural requirements for new software and applications
- Migrate data from legacy systems to new solutions
- Design conceptual and logical data models and flowcharts
- Improve system performance by conducting tests, troubleshooting and integrating new elements
- Optimize new and current database systems
- Define security and backup procedures
- Provide operational support for information architecture
- Coordinate with our data science team to identify future needs and requirements
Bring a combination of curiosity, collaboration and creativity to your work
What do you need?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or relevant field
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Architect, Data Analyst or similar role
- Minimum of 2+ years working with AWS products and services
- Must be a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident for 5+ years
- Ability to undergo and pass a Public Trust security clearance
- Experience working as a member of distributed data architecture teams
- In-depth understanding of database structures and principles enterprise data management technologies, including database platforms and ETL tools
- Experience with data modeling tools (e.g Erwin Data Modeler, or similar)
- Familiarity with data visualization tools
- Expertise in SQL
- Experience with Agile development methodology and concepts
- Understanding of information systems and data life-cycle management best practices and methodologies and systems development life cycle (SDLC)
- Experience with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), web services, enterprise data management, information security, applications development, and cloud-based architectures with federal clients
- Understanding of National Information Exchange Model (NIEM) standards and interfaces