Public Affairs Writer/Editor
Bixal, a fast-growing marketing, communications and technology firm based in Fairfax, VA seeks a talented Writer/Editor to join our dynamic team.
The candidate will be required to develop and edit written products including news articles, press releases and fact sheets that clearly relay key messages, purposes and plans and adhere to requirements for internal and external audiences. The candidate will also provide editorial guidance to subordinate organizations’ communications staff on written news articles in accordance with AP style guidelines. The candidate should possess superior editorial and fact-checking skills in order to perform final document quality assurance and quality control reviews on communication products prior to distribution to the public (e.g., press releases, informational brochures, briefings). The candidate will provide editorial expertise in producing catalogs, electronic newsletters and magazine-type publications.
The candidate will develop and maintain a database of all written products, articles, documents and fact sheets, a repository of media kits compiled by subordinate organizations and a database of current Army and DoD public affairs policies as well as manage administrative requirements and requests for information from Army and DoD higher headquarters. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who can proactively create action plans to target the correct audience and use sound editorial judgment to determine where communication gaps exist and how to close them.
This is a full time position based at Fort Belvoir, VA.
- Collaborate with others to create original concepts that result in effective and compelling internal and external communication
- Write clear, concise, grammatically correct copy that is consistent with approved brand, voice and style
- Consult relevant information sources to obtain and verify background information
- Develop outlines and drafts that meet client requirements and regulations
- Edit copy to comply with in-house and AP style guides
- Possess knowledge of Army Public Affairs Style and the Defense Imagery Style Guide
- Have experience working with basic HTML and web content management systems
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, attention to detail and qualityassurance
- Be well organized, self-motivated and willing to perform other related duties as assigned
- Have the ability to function in a face-paced and deadline-driven environment
- Have experience working in the Army or DoD
- Be able to understand highly technical material to disseminate to a wider audience
- Have a portfolio of quality written material
- Minimum of 8 years of proven writing and editing experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Expert level experience with Microsoft Office, particularly Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint
- Thorough knowledge of AP Style
- National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) background investigation
- Ability to obtain a Secret security clearance