Who are we?
Bixal is a digital communications, design and technology firm based in Fairfax, VA. We are inspired by the promise and potential of the world that surrounds us. Our diverse and global perspectives enable us to address complex challenges with equally diverse and creative solutions.
Bixal is growing. We are cultivating top talent in a multitude of fields including digital strategists, design thinkers, developers, data scientists and more. At Bixal, we are focused on using our skills and energies to create positive meaning and transformation in peoples’ lives.
What will you do?
As a member of the core design team, you will likely work on more than one project at a time; supporting multiple teams with their own clients, project goals, constraints, and timelines. You will report to our Lead UX Designer who reports to our VP of UX and Design. Using your core design skills, you will create and refine digital products to enable useful, usable, and delightful experiences for those that use them.
- Carry out a wide variety of UX tasks and create UX deliverables including:
- Understand product specifications and user psychology
- Conduct concept and usability testing and gather feedback
- Create personas through user research and data
- Define the right interaction model and evaluate its success
- Develop wireframes and prototypes around customer needs
- Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g. responsiveness)
- Collaborate cross functionally in an Agile environment to help create best in class digital experiences; teams include but are not limited to: strategy, content, visual, development, etc.
- Facilitate ideation through sketching and collaborative activities, such as design sprints and other participatory design activities.
- Create storyboards and step-by-step flows of varying resolution to communicate a person’s experience through a system.
- Conducting evaluative user research (for example, user testing of prototypes or existing products, heuristic analyses, and interviews).
- Work integrally with Developers to shepherd designs through the development process
- Promote the importance of human-centered design practice throughout the organization and with Bixal’s clients.
- Work collaboratively with senior management to bring new and innovative methodologies to Bixal's user experience practice.
- Implement, maintain, and expand upon project plans with emphasis on high-degree of quality in conjunction product managers and development managers.
- Mentor and develop team members in alignment with Bixal’s brand and overall direction
- Keep abreast of industry trends and tools and communicate findings out to the team/Bixal.
- Help to build a culture of continuous improvement across all levels of UX design — strategic, structural, and surface — where UX designers (including yourself) feel challenged with meaningful work and see a clear path for growth.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
What will you do?
- 3-7 years’ experience in UX role or commensurate work experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated history of successful interaction design and prototyping.
- Working knowledge of current front-end technologies. (Being able to rock the code is a major bonus.)
- Strong experience in at least two of these areas:
- Design Research
- Information Architecture
- Visual Design
- Service Design
- Excellent communications skills including verbal, written, and drawing
- History of presenting work to a variety of populations including Stakeholders and Clients.
- Must be able to assess a client’s needs and articulate the rationale for design decisions
- Must have a portfolio of experience.
Position is full-time, salaried, with benefits. No recruiters or agencies please. Bixal is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.